Thursday, October 21, 2010

Source Evaluation




Janis E Haswell. “The Craft Of The Short Story in Retelling the Viet Nam War: Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried.” The South Carolina Review 37.1 (2004): 94-109. Humanities Module, ProQuest. Web. 19 Oct. 2010.  

            This article is tells me about the craft of Tim O’Brien’s novel, “The Things They Carried,” and how it retells the stories of soldiers’ in Vietnam. It explains how the “The Things They Carried” is a thoughtful and reflexive sequence of stories with violence and carnage of war. I will use this article for my third essay, because it will help me to analysis Tim O’Brien’s biography and will help me to interpret the novel and what the meanings are behind it. I believe that this source is creditable, because I found it on Proquest, a creditable research database through the schools library. It has given me a creditable citation and the person who has wrote the review is credited as well.
           


Martin Naparsteck, Tim O'Brien
Contemporary Literature
Vol. 32, No. 1 (Spring, 1991), pp. 1-11
Published by: University of Wisconsin Press
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1208335

The article consists of an interview with Tim O’Brien conducted by Martin Naparsteck. Naparsteck asks O’Brien questions about the books he has written and the meaning behind all the stories. The main important parts of the interview I would be using in my essay are in pages 7-11. I have decided that I want to approach my third essay by doing a biography on Tim O’Brien. I really enjoyed the novel, “The Things They Carried,” and I believe that the interview can help me to interpret and understand the true meaning of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment