Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mid Session Letter


                                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                   October 13, 2010
Dear Mrs. Cline,

This semester seems to have gone by very fast. I still can’t believe that we are almost half way through the semester already! I am now counting down the days till Christmas, and of course Christmas break. I have really enjoyed taking English 102, especially having you as my instructor. You have made English 102 very easy for me to understand, and so much more interesting by including, blogging, discussions boards, and reading material that has caught my attention. I love knowing we can express who we are in our writings.

My biggest challenge thus far in the class has been writing the essays, especially the poetry of witness essay. I wasn’t very familiar with analyzing what a poem truly meant. I have always been a good writer, but there are always those times where I tell myself “I can’t do this.” I have improved in my writing with every English class I have taken. Literary analysis was something very different from any writing I have done before. I have never had to analyze so much in my life. It has helped me change the way I assess a text or passage. It allows me to look for a new understanding of the text, and find the true ideas that might be expressed in a passage. My biggest success thus far has been the ability to understand the readings. The stories have been so interesting, and it keeps me wanting to read more and more. I’m not a very big reader, so that fact that I enjoyed the stories you have picked out amazes me so far. I have also seen that I have been growing more and more through my writings this semester. I’m not only writing an essay just summarizing a story, but I have challenged myself to analyze the meanings and concept of a text. I am now interested to learn more about literary analysis.

I have really enjoyed the readings in class thus far. Huze and O’Brien have really captured my interest. Most of the stories they write are very relevant to what is going on with today society. Although, O’Brien’s story is about the Vietnam War, it shows us the true meaning of what war is really like, and what soldiers in today’s war might be going through while in Iraq. My favorite reading had to be “The Sand Storm.” Even though Huze wrote with such harsh words, it allowed me to really envision the stories of each man. I can’t wait to start reading the “The Handmaid’s Tale.” I hope it captures my interest as much as the previous readings have.

My goal for the second half of the semester is to keep doing my best, while improving my writing. I will always have room to grow and I hope that my writing shows that in the upcoming essays. I also hope to be able to become more comfortable with writing and understand literary analysis. I would like to accomplish my goals, and to gain a final grade of an A. I know it will be hard work, but I am ready for the challenge.


Sincerely,
Jessica Mulberg


No comments:

Post a Comment